PNW Computers' Links And Recommended Software
A basic list of software, tools and utilities that we use and recommend!
We will update this list as much as possible!
Tools and Utilities:
- Hirens All-In-On Boot CD - Great utility CD with TONS of diagnostic software; HD manufacturers included!
- BleachBit - When your computer is getting full, BleachBit quickly frees disk space. When your information is only your business, BleachBit guards your privacy. With BleachBit you can free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there!
- GParted - GParted is a free partition manager that enables you tor resize, copy, and move partitions without data loss. Some repair capabilities as well.
- Memtest86 - MemTest86 is a free, thorough, stand alone memory test for x86 architecture computers.
- Offline NT Password & Registry Editor - This is a utility to reset the password of any user that has a valid lcoal account on your Windows System.
- HFSExplorer - HFSExplorer is an application that can read Mac-formatted hard disks and disk images. It can read the file systems HFS (Mac OS Standard), HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) and HFSX (Mac OS Extended with case sensitive file names), including most .dmg disk images created on a Mac, including zlib / bzip2 compressed images and AES-128 encrypted images
- IsoBuster - IsoBuster is actually a CD/DVD and BD/HD DVD data recovery software that can interpret, open and extract various CD/DVD/Blu-ray disk image files, including DMG.
- Revo Uninstaller Free - Revo Uninstaller lists the installed programs and components for all and current user. With a choice of views, as well as a context menu, information on program components is available: program properties, their registry entries and links to manufacturer's web site, for a start. The "Search" option finds installed applications just by typing the first few letters of their name. Revo Uninstaller Free scans for "leftovers" with advanced algorithms that are precise, fast and very effective in searching for leftover Windows Services, Drivers, File associations, Shell Extensions, COM components, Windows Installer components, program settings and more!
- MyDefrag - MyDefrag (formerly JKDefrag) is a disk defragmenter and optimizer for Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008/X64. Completely automatic and very easy to use, fast, low overhead, with several optimization strategies, and can handle floppies, USB disks, memory sticks, and anything else that looks like a disk to Windows.
- CUTEpdf Writer - Create PDF documents on the fly for Free! Portable Document Format (PDF) is the de facto standard for the secure and reliable distribution and exchange of electronic documents and forms around the world. CutePDF Writer (formerly CutePDF Printer) is the free version of commercial PDF creation software. CutePDF Writer installs itself as a "printer subsystem". This enables virtually any Windows applications (must be able to print) to create professional quality PDF documents - with just a push of a button! ALL FOR FREE!
- VideoLAN VLC Media Player - VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols without external codec or program. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
- Sumatra PDF Viewer - Sumatra PDF is a slim, free, open-source PDF reader for Windows. Sumatra has a very minimalistic design and is no where NEAR the security risk that Adobe Reader can be. Simplicity has a higher priority than a lot of features with Sumatra. It's small, secure and starts up very fast.
- Piriform Recuva - Accidentally deleted an important file? Lost something important when your computer crashed? No problem! Recuva recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player. And it's free!
- Microsoft Security Essentials - FREE Antivirus software from Microsoft.
- Bitdefender Free - FREE Antivirus software from the folks at BitDefender!
- Avast! FREE - FREE Antivirus software from Avast.
- Malware Byte's Antimalware - Excellent all around "Anit-malware" program.
- Spybot Search & Destroy - The Swiss Army Knife of Security. Malware Removal, System Repair, Optimization; must have in our opinion.
**NOTE! During the installation of Spybot, a feature called "Tea-Timer" will attempt to install and run. DO NOT INSTALL or ARM THIS FEATURE! It can be very intrusive and create conflicts with other security software you may have installed.
- ADW Cleaner - AdwCleaner is a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer. By using AdwCleaner you can easily remove many of these types of programs for a better user experience on your computer and while browsing the web.
- JRT (Junk Removal Tool) - Junkware Removal Tool is a security utility that searches for and removes common adware, toolbars, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) from your computer. A common tactics among freeware publishers is to offer their products for free, but bundle them with PUPs in order to earn revenue. This tool will help you remove these types of programs.
- UnHackMe - UnHackMe allows you to detect and remove a new generation of Trojan programs - invisible Trojans. UnHackMe is a very useful security utility for your operating system.
- RKill - Automated malware disabling software! Allows you to set the stage for effective virus scanning and more efficiently find and remove viruses from your computer.
- Windows Defender Offline Scanner - CD Based Virus Removal Utility from Microsoft!
- Trend Micro's HijackThis - HijackThis inspects your computers browser and operating system settings to generate a log file of the current state of your computer. Using HijackThis you can selectively remove unwanted settings and files from your computer. http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/
- TDSKiller - Kaserpersky Lab has developed the TDSKiller utility that allows EFFECTIVE removal of rootkits.
*Because the settings identified in a HijackThis log file can belong to both legitimate software and unwanted malware, it is important to use extreme caution when choosing to removing anything using HijackThis.
What is a rootkit!? A rootkit is a program or a program kit that hides the presence of malware (or itself) in a system. A rootkit for a Windows systems is a program that penetrates into the system and intercepts the system functions; Windows API. It can effectively hide its presence by intercepting and modifying low-level API functions. Moreover it can hide the presence of particular processes, folders, files and registry keys. Some rootkits install their own drivers and services in the system and they also remain “invisible".
- Filehippo.com - Great site that hosts TONS of updates and software titles; anything you can think of really.
- Ninite.com - Great "update-all-at-once" site that lets you install/update multiple programs without dealing with individual installers, prompts, etc. One download, one install; as many programs as you like!