With all the software that is out there for surfing the web and for security, it can be kind of confusing which programs you should or should NOT use. Maybe you have a brand new computer that you need to setup. Or you are looking to get your current system spruced and/or re-secured. Or maybe you are looking to overhaul your system's software completely! Here are some of my recommended software programs that I personally like, use and recommend. As well as a basic "How-To" to help get you going on running virus scans and to assist with tuning up your computer!
**NOTE! During the installation of this program, a feature called "Tea-Timer" will attempt to install and run. DO NOT INSTALL or ARM THIS FEATURE! It can be very intrusive and create conflicts with other security software you may have installed.
- Much faster.
- Totally automatic, extremely easy to use.
- Optimized for daily use.
- Disk optimization, several strategies.
- Directories are moved to the beginning of the disk.
- Reclaims MFT reserved space after disk-full.
- Maintains free spaces for temporary files.
- Can defragment very full harddisks.
- Can defragment very large files.
- Can defragment individual directories and files.
- Can be run automatically with the Windows Scheduler.
- Can be used from the commandline.
- Can be used as a screen saver.
- Can be run from cdrom or memory stick.
- Sources available, can be customized.
|Create PDF documents on the fly — for Free! Portable Document Format (PDF) is the de facto standard for the secure and reliable distribution and exchange of electronic documents and forms around the world. CutePDF Writer (formerly CutePDF Printer) is the free version of commercial PDF creation software. CutePDF Writer installs itself as a "printer subsystem". This enables virtually any Windows applications (must be able to print) to create professional quality PDF documents - with just a push of a button! ALL FOR FREE!|
VideoLAN VLC Media Player:
- MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 / DivX files from a hard disk, a CD-ROM drive, and so on
- DVDs, VCDs, and Audio CDs.
- From satellite cards (DVB-S).
- Network streams: UDP/RTP Unicast, UDP/RTP Multicast, HTTP, RTSP, MMS, etc.
- From acquisition or encoding cards (on GNU/Linux and Windows only).
Google's Picasa Picture Manager & Editor:
Picasa is software that helps you instantly find, edit and share all the pictures on your PC. Every time you open Picasa, it automatically locates all your pictures (even ones you forgot you had) and sorts them into visual albums organized by date with folder names you will recognize. You can drag and drop to arrange your albums and make labels to create new groups. Picasa makes sure your pictures are always organized. Picasa also makes advanced editing simple by putting one-click fixes and powerful effects at your fingertips. And Picasa makes it a snap to share your pictures, you can email, print photos home, make gift CDs, instantly share your images and albums, and even post pictures on your own blog.
- Double click on a security program’s icon; MS Security Essentials, Spybot, MBAM, etc...
- Locates the program’s “Update” button and update the software;
- You may need to click ok a few times but this process takes only a minute to download and install updates on a high-speed internet connection.
- Once the program has been updated, select “Scan Now” or “Check for Problems” and run a system scan.
- If you are given the option to run Quick or Full scan; always run the Full scan. This process can take an hour to a couple of hours to complete and will slow down the computer if you decide to use the computer as it scans.
- Once the program says it’s completed its scan, delete or quarantine any and all findings; if the malware can’t be removed, contact Pacific NorthWest Computers ASAP!
- Run full scans with theyour security software every 2 weeks if you can; at-least once a month. All the security software is 100% free but can also bee purchased. During updates, these programs may pop up an ad for a purchasable version of themselves. But don’t be alarmed! Just simply click an available “later” or “ok” button or just close the box with its upper right "X" button.
- Use CCleaner to help with the “junk file cleanup” that needs to be routinely cleared for security and performance purposes. To do this, just find and double click the CCleaner icon and then simply click “Run Cleaner”. When it says it’s completed, you’re all done!
- Use MyDefrag to help keep the files on your hard drive organized as well as help to keep your computer and hard drive running the best that it can! At least once a month run a "System Disk Monthly" de-fragmentation on your "C:\" drive. If you have external hard drives, you can run a "Data Disk Monthly" de-fragmentation on those drives as well to help maintain optimal read/write performance. Also, there area Daily and Weekly defragmentions you can run for both types of hard drives as well.